Friday, July 23, 2010

 

Electricity is FIRE IN A BOX!

OMG! It is like being the FBI on "Criminal Minds!"
I just got an e-mail from "Handy Jack" himself!


Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765

*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100 I: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
*
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
*
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
*
Question:
hi, how much of the outside wiring can I do myself? I want to upgrade my service. right now I have 60 amp coming to the house. can I call the electric company and ask them to " shut me down " at the pole for a few hours while I run new #4 wire from the drop on the top of the house down to a new Meter Socket box and then to my box inside. I already changed this to a 125amp box a few years ago myself. Also does the power Co. run new wire to my drop for FREE??. I'm just a homeowner.

Answer:
1. Congratulations on your great good fortune. The cable from a 60 amp service will not adequately support 125 amps and probably should have burned off the wall. I expect that you didn't actually increase your load, however, if all you did was change the panel. Lucky you.
2. Four gauge won't carry 125 amps either.
3. You may not be allowed to perform the work you propose. Either the local "authority having jurisdiction" or the utility may not allow installations by unlicensed parties.
4. I don't know where you are located, so cannot speak to utility disconnection practices. There are many places where nobody but the utility is allowed to interfere with service connections. Sometimes the utility is local government. Where I am located, the contractor cuts the service away and makes the reintroduction to energized utility lines. Ask your utility.
5. I have no concept of your mechanical skills level. I hope it exceeds your knowledge level, which is revealed as nominal by your prior actions.
6. I know you didn't have your work inspected, because it was done improperly.

7. I make a living fixing work installed by amateurs. You will want to move one day and I don't think it fair to help you saddle an unsuspecting soul with the dangerous installation you will leave behind.
8. Electricity is fire in a box.
9. If you insist on doing this yourself, buy extra smoke detectors, make sure your fire insurance is paid up and don't sleep in the house.
10. CALL A PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICIAN!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?